1946 HRG 1500 Sports New Forest National Park, United Kingdom

Trade : £POA

Sellers description

1946 HRG 1500

One owner since 1964.

First time offered for sale in 57 years

Please see short You Tube video of the engine running here with 40psi oil pressure :- https://youtu.be/caqOh0OxSl8   

Vast history file detailing every single job carried out on this car running into several files

Spares available by negotiation

Details as follows:-

Chassis No. W88

UK registration number:  HXD 506

First registered: 25th November 1946

Engine number: C 206 Q  (Capacity: 1496 cc)

Gearbox number: C 108 Q

Rear axle number: HRG 51

Coachwork by REALL Summary

W 88 was the 1st post-war built standard bodied ”1500” H.R.G sports car and one of only 3 built that year.  The immediate post-war built chassis numbers preceding it being “Aerodynamic” models or “1100” models.  It is one of only 111 “1500” models (99 long stroke engine and 12 short stroke) produced from 1946 to 1956.

It has always been maintained in its original form and represents an early post war, standard bodied, “1500” car retaining many original parts and authentic layout.

At some time the original engine recorded by the Works, C 108 Q, was changed for the current engine, C 206 Q, which was originally fitted to another 1948 built H.R.G “1500”.  This was not uncommon practice and many engines, gearboxes and axles have been swapped around in period.  It has also been confirmed by the HRG Association Patron and historian.  The engine specification is the same as the original, being an H.R.G improved and prepared engine and is not the basic Singer engine.

W 88 has been cared for by the current owner since he purchased it in 1964 and is now offered for sale after 57 years. 

The owner has carried out much work, including more recently, fitting a newly manufactured high-lift camshaft and improved exhaust manifold.

Brief Technical specification of W 88

  • “W” (wide) specification H.R.G chassis frame, 8 ft 7 inch wheelbase, the side members now fitted with “flitch” plates (a period H.R.G upgrade)
  • Lightweight H.R.G front axle with quarter elliptical front springs.
  • Marles 462 steering box, being a replacement for the earlier Marles 320.
  • ENV rear axle with 9 x 36 ratio (4:1)
  • Singer based / H.R.G prepared 12 hp long-stroke engine, 1496 cc. 68mm bore x 103mm stroke with twin carbs, improved manifold and water pump.
  • Singer 4 speed synchromesh gearbox with H.R.G improvements.
  • R.G mechanical brakes with magnesium brake drums.
  • Standard open 2 seater sports coachwork by REALL, all aluminium over ash frame.

Summary Ownership History of W 88

W 88 was built in 1946 and first registered on 25th November 1946. 

Unusual for an H.R.G, it has not had a competition history.

  • The first owner was a Mr Bradshaw of Birmingham
  • Then R.G Bickerton of Woodley, Berks, then West Drayton and then Hampstead.
  • Then G A Farthing of Harrogate
  • Then G S Morewood of Sheffield (as of May 1958)
  • Then H. Cox of Bristol (as of Nov 1960)
  • Then Sgt J. Tutty of RAF Marham, Norfolk, later Bournemouth (1961)
  • Then Rig Rigby of Borehamwood and later Somerset (in 1964)

The well-known historic car dealer Dan Margulies, of central London, sold the W88 to Sgt Tutty in August 1961.  Tutty sold the car on to Chiltern Cars of Leighton Buzzard in 1964. The current owner purchased the car from Chiltern Cars in Leighton Buzzard in November 1964.

W 88 retains its features of the early post-war built cars.

W 88 is eligible for many events including, now, the proposed new “historic category”, for selected post-war built cars, in the Vintage Sports Car Club (VSCC).

Historical and other Documents included with W 88

W 88 comes with a history file and many notes from the current owner including the following:-

  • Small selection of photos on a Rally in 1994 and during its 1980s rebuild.
  • Current UK registration document, V5c
  • Original continuation log book RF60 from the 1960s.
  • Various letters and correspondence dating back to DVLC / DVLA computerisation in early 1980s.
  • Letter to Hon. Sec of HRG Association (HRGA) enquiring about engine number currently in the car.
  • Reply letter from Hon. Sec of HRGA confirming current engine was almost certainly exchanged at the HRG factory.
  • Invoice and Receipt to Sgt Tutty from Dan Margulies, dated 4th August 1961.
  • Road worthiness test certificate dated 10 March 1962.
  • Original advert for W88 from Chiltern Cars in November 1964.
  • Invoice and receipt for W88 to current owner dated 2nd November 1964.
  • Insurance document for current owner dated 2nd November 1964.
  • Various insurance documents from 1960s and 1971.
  • Notes made by current owner of mileage and costs in 1964 to 1965.
  • Summary of invoices and work done during 1961 to 1964 by previous owner, Sgt Tutty.
  • Letters in 1964 from Secretary of HRG Association (Ian Dussek) to current owner including joining the HRGA in 1964.
  • Various letters and invoices during 1960s, 70s and 80s from current and previous owners including several from H.R.G Engineering Co. themselves.
  • Letter from Ian Dussek in 1966 notifying the current owner of the closure of H.R.G Engineering.
  • Letter dated August 1973 from HRGA drawing Registrar.
  • Small selection of copied original H.R.G parts drawings.
  • Letter from Department of Transport licensing office to current owner in 1986.
  • Copy of profile publication number 58, “The “1500” and “1100” HRGs”.
  • Copies of various HRG publications from The Autocar, The Motor in 1937 and 1948.
  • Copy of 1949 H.R.G advert publishing successes in that year.
  • Details on the Scintilla Vertex Magneto.
  • The original R.G Engineering Maintenance Manual for the car.
  • A copy of the H.R.G Engineering Maintenance Manual for the car.
  • A further copy of the H.R.G Engineering Maintenance Manual for the car.
  • Original copy of a manual for the Singer “Gazelle”.
  • Castrol lubricants information sheet for HRG.
  • R.G wiring diagram.
  • Copies of original drawings for H.R.G front and rear springs.
  • Letter regarding purchasing H.R.G parts from Ripley garage in April 1968.
  • Follow up spare parts “bulletin” in June 1968.
  • HRGA parts list - dated 1968.
  • HRGA parts list - dated October 1977.
  • Various invoices from HRGA parts over the 70s and 80s.
  • Various invoices for parts and work to W88 during 70s, 80s and 90s.

 Eligibility

The car is fully recognised and accepted by the HRG Association as a genuine ex- factory car with a full continuous history.  A marque expert has recently looked over the car and verified its major components, chassis number, chassis plate and other identification numbers.

All H.R.Gs (both pre and post-war) are eligible to compete in the Class 2 (for pre-war production cars) in the MCC classic trials.

Post-war built H.R.G.s are eligible in historic rallying (ERA / HERO) in the pre-war category.

Eligible for the new class at the Vintage Sports Car Club (VSCC) “Historic Class” for selected post war cars by invitation.  (New from 2021).

 Spare Parts Available

A number of spares from the owner of W 88 are also available including:-

  • 2 nr H.R.G brake drums, in magnesium. Damaged and/or cracked.
  • 1 nr Singer / H.R.G 12 hp flywheel ring gear
  • 2 nr clutch covers (pressure plate), bought from HRG Association parts
  • 1 nr clutch driven plate (used)
  • 1 nr release bearing (used)
  • 1 nr Singer 12 hp sump (used)
  • 1 nr Singer engine to bell housing mounting plate (used)
  • 1 nr H.R.G spare wheel carrier / rear registration mounting plate (used).
  • 1 nr box with miscellaneous water manifolds (1 H.R.G, 2 Singer)
  • 3 nr starter motors (2 rebuilt)
  • 1 nr dynamo (used)
  • 3 nr magneto caps / tops (new)
  • Original H.R.G inlet and exhaust manifold (4 into 1 ex W 88)
  • 1 nr H.R.G. carburettor heat shield (used)
  • Original Servais silencer – ex-HRG works (used)
  • 6 nr 16 inch wire wheels (in black) with 550 tyres fitted (used)
  • 2 nr 17 inch wire wheels (in silver) (used)
  • 1 nr 17 inch wheel (in black) (new)
  • 1 x 16 inch wheel (unpainted) (used)

The wheels (some with tyres fitted) are located at the current owner’s address in the South West of England and can be collected from there.

It is strongly recommended that all tyres are properly checked and, if old, out of date or damaged, that they are replaced.

Further information

A full history of the marque, the company, the cars and the successes can be found in the book  “The Sportsmans Ideal” by Ian Dussek.  ISBN 10: 0956512402  or ISBN 13: 9780956512406

HRG Association website:  www.hrgcars.com

Please enquire

Brief history of The H.R.G Engineering Co. Ltd and the H.R.G light car

Formed by the partnership of E A Halford, G H Robins and H R Godfrey, the H.R.G Engineering Co. Ltd was created in 1935 incorporating the initials of their surnames.  H R (Ron) Godfrey was lead designer and was already well known in sports car circles for his involvement with Archie Frazer-Nash in the GN cycle cars of 1910 to 1922.

The first H.R.G car, the “1½ Litre” model, powered by the Meadows 4ED engine, was introduced to the motoring press at Brooklands race track in October 1935.  The car was considered a bit of a “throw back” to the past, even for the mid to late 1930s.  It mixed traditional hand-built construction techniques with updated tried and tested solutions from Godfrey’s experiences and executed them efficiently.  With a particular focus on functionality and lightness (rather than styling) there was a high power to weight ratio from a modest engine.  This also enabled higher gearing to be used for reliability.  The car was marketed as having “three-fold performance” enabling an owner to use the car, unmodified, in both racing and off-road trials as well as everyday transport.

Moving into new factory premises in Tolworth in Surrey, car production started in early 1936 and the cars quickly gained a reputation for being very effective in competition and for the true enthusiast.  An 1100cc model, powered by a modified Singer engine, was introduced in 1938.  World War II naturally halted car production whereby just 35 cars had been produced.  War work included making parts for Wellington bombers and other Air Ministry contracts.

Soon after WWII, H.R.G was one of few British sports car companies that were able to get back into manufacturing new cars and the post-war models were a continuation of the pre-war cars with the addition of the “Aerodynamic”.  The cars were popular amongst sports car enthusiasts who wanted to acquire newly manufactured cars and to compete at that time.  Being more than twice the price of contemporary MGs, they were not cheap and considered a high quality product.

The majority of H.R.Gs were used for competition and featured in the results at nearly all well-known events, especially on the continent, including at Le Mans, Spa and the Alpine Rallies.  In addition, the cars competed at many hundreds of events in the UK including the first ever events at Silverstone, Goodwood and Prescott.

Just 241 cars in total were manufactured from 1935 to 1956.  After car manufacturing ceased the Company continued to service and repair the cars and operated as an engineering firm, finally closing in 1966 when all the directors reached retirement.  In 1960, the H.R.G Association (HRGA) was formed which inherited much of the intellectual property of the company.  It is estimated that over 90% of the cars survive today.

More information can be found at www.hrgcars.com

Notable Events and Results in H.R.G cars in the period 1935 to 1956

H.R.G cars competed in virtually all of the principal motor sport events in Great Britain and Europe, especially in the immediate post war period.  Some notable events, dates and results are listed below.

Circuit Racing:

Brooklands – (many short scratch and handicap races), 1938 class winner 3 hr Sports Car Race.

Donington 12 hour Sports Car Race – 1937 - 4th overall

RAC Tourist Trophy – 1937, 1938 (Donington) & 1950 (Dundrod).

Le Mans 24 hour Race - class wins 1939 & 1949, 2nd in class 1937 & 1938.

Eifelrennen, Nurburgring – 1938 & 1939.

Gransden Lodge (the very first post war GB race meetings) – 1946 & 1947.

Chimay - Grand Prix des Frontieres, 1947 & 1948.

Montlhery - Paris 12 hour race – 1948.

Isle of Man - British Empire Trophy Manx Cup 1947, 1948, 1949 & 1950, team prize 1948.

Silverstone – first meetings in 1948 and 1949. Daily Express Trophy Production Sports Car Races Class wins 1949 & 1950, 2nd In Class 1949 & 1951, 6 hour Relay Races 1951, 52 & 53.

Spa-Francorchamps 24 hour Race - Coupe du Roi team prize 1948.  Class win, Coupe de la Victoire, Coupe de Richard Seaman and Coupe du Roi team prize in 1949

Goodwood - First Members meeting in 1948, Members and Easter Meetings 1948 to 1955,

9 hour Races 1952, 1953 & 1955.

Autosport Production Sports Car Championship - 1956 3rd Overall (including class wins at Mallory Park, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and Goodwood).

Blandford – National Road Races (first circuit after WW2) 1949 2nd in Class and 1950 2nd in Class

Bridgehampton (USA) – 1949, 1950 & 1951, 3rd overall 1949.

Watkins Glen (USA) - 1949, 4th overall.

Sebring (USA) - 1950.

Jersey - International Road Race 1952

Crystal Palace - 1952 & 1953

Brands Hatch - Kent Cup Race – 1954

Oulton Park - British Empire Trophy – 1955 & 1956

 

Endurance Rallying:

Brooklands - 1937 JCC Brooklands Rally, 1st in Class.

Monte Carlo Rally – 1937.

Paris-Nice Trial - Class win 1938.

RAC Rally - Class wins 1939, 1951 & 1953, 2nd in Class 1937 & 1938.

Alpine Rally - Class wins, Coupes des Alpes 1948 & 1951. Team awards 1948. Several special stage awards.

Eastbourne Rally – 1951.

Paris-St Raphael Rally - Class win 1952, 2nd in Class 1951.

Speed Hill climbs and Sprints:

H.R.G cars competed and won many awards at speed events in Great Britain, especially in the immediate post war period.  These included Shelsey Walsh, Prescott (including the first ever meeting in 1938), Bo’ness, Brighton, Great Auclum, Lewes and Blackwell amongst many others. 

 

Reliability Trials and Production Car Trials:

H.R.G cars competed in many events in the late 1930s into the 40s and 50s.  Over 200 awards in the three MCC Classic Trials (The Land’s End, Exeter and Edinburgh Trials) alone as well as several team and “triple” awards. 


Genre

Original


Viennese classic car restorationViennese classic car restoration

Vechicle details

  • Ad Ref : 2T210700005
  • Location : New Forest National Park, United Kingdom
  • Make : HRG
  • Model : 1500 Sports
  • Year : 1946
  • Miles : n/a
  • Kms : n/a
  • Steer : RHD
  • Gear Box : Manual
  • Cylender : 4 cylinder
  • cc : 1500
  • Cu in : n/a
  • Engine No : n/a
  • Chassis No : W88
  • Exterior Color : Red
  • Interior : Leather
  • Interior Colour : Green
  • Doors : 2 Doors
  • Condition : Good
  • MoT. : n/a
  • Part exchange Considered : No
  • Country of Manufacture : European Cars

Contact Seller

Characters /500


 Sign me up for the Newsletter
By contacting this seller you accept
Treasured Cars Terms & Conditions.
  • Location : United Kingdom
  • Seller : Charles Leith Ltd
  • Phone : 079 73731 XXX
Visit Dealer Showroom

Similar